LinkedIn

8.07.2013

Book Recommendatiom, The Red Circle, by Brandon Webb


"It has always amazed me, when you tell people about something big you aspire to accomplish, how many try to shoot it down, throw out obstacles, tell you it'll never happen. I think they don't even realize they're doing it. Often there's no malicious intent there. It's just the reaction people have when you state big goals. Maybe they're threatened by you and your dreams; maybe by undercutting your goals, they get to justify their own insecurity and self-doubt. Maybe they're just plain cynical, for no reason other than an ingrained habit of being negative. To tell the truth, I don't know what their reasons are, and I don't really want to know.
This had been happening for three years now, ever since I'd set my sights on becoming a Navy SEAL. Every now and then someone would say, "Wow, that's great, you'd be awesome at that." But not very often. Usually, when I told anyone my goal, whether teachers, acquaintances, or even friends, what I got back was disbelief and ridicule. Now that I was in the navy, it only got worse."
The Red Circle, by Brandon Webb