LinkedIn

7.05.2011

Youth Obsessed Culture, Wise Mind



     Once again, I overheard the early morning television announce, "because of our youth obsessed culture..." blankety blank. I don't believe it. I know that popular media (television, film) loves new talent and beautiful-looking characters, however, in my daily life, my professional world, of clients, friends, and co-workers, I see lots of examples of middle-aged folks, smart and had working people, who are not youth obsessed!
     Yes, everyday, I see seniors walking the seawall along the coast, sometimes surfing, taking classes at the rec center, learning how to use the computer at our local library. They are curious life-long learners, open-minded, but, they are not youth-obsessed.
     In fact, often I hear this instead, "I wouldn't go back in time for nothing!" Youth has physical vitality on its' side, definitely. But, beyond that, youth is mostly full of angst, struggle, effort - an unknowing. Aging is about growing a wise mind - the sophisticated and mysterious combination of both rational mind and the emotional mind. The rational mind is lacking in compassion, humility, experience. Emotional mind operates as childish, impulsive, and greedy. Wise mind is my lofty goal. You?
*****