LinkedIn

12.22.2013

Laguna Playhouse - Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory

What a special day, seeing Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory at the Laguna Playhouse.
I had no idea such a play existed. This production is well-acted and emotional, with lots of sniffles as the young boy, Buddy, is separated from his playmate and best friend, adult cousin, Sook. Set in the 1950's with  poverty and "Alabama fruitcake" as cornerstones.


“You know what I've always thought? I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. 
And I imagined that when He came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a comfort: to think of that shine taking away all the spooky feeling. 
But I'll wager it never happens. I'll wager at the very end a body realizes the Lord has already shown Himself. That things as they are, just what they've always seen, was seeing Him.”   
Truman Capote (Sook)
 
Listen: Traditions and Fruitcake